Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Serving Single - Succotash

Suffering Succotash. I have had a rough couple of days diet wise, but nice quiet days holiday wise. To top off the bad diet days the pool is still close I guess when they started to repair the ceiling (it was damaged last winter with the MANY feet of snow we had) they figured out it was going to take an extra week to fix it right. That or they just take 3 hour lunch breaks. So I made my favorite no meat dish this weekend.





I love Succotash, but not the kind that that is pre-made, which I didn't know you could get until I started researching it's history. I love the kind my mom makes. This is traditionally a depression era dish that is inexpensive with very few ingredients. The succotash in a can is made with Corn and Lima beans, but my family makes it with Kidney or Pinto beans. My suggestion is that you make a big batch and freeze what you don't use for a later date.



You need...

1 bag of frozen corn (12-16oz)
2 cans of Kidney or pinto beans(12-14 oz per can)
1 cup of milk
salt
pepper

1. Drain but DO NOT rinse your beans. The starch on the outside of the beans will be used to thicken the milk.
2. Using a large pot on Medium heat put the frozen corn and the beans in the pot. Then season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add 1 cup of milk. You can use whatever milk you have handy skim or whole.
3. Let it cook stirring occasionally until the it is simmering then remove from heat.



It is really like a thin chowder at this point. I would put it in a bowl and garnish with a bit of fresh parsley and maybe some crumbled bacon and I sliced of hearty bread with butter. If you have left overs you can add some cooked Potato or Lima beans. It is very basic but tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment